Douglas Cost Guide was started over 30 years ago, in St. Mary’s, Ontario by Karl Douglas, who, at the time, was an accredited and experienced Real Estate Appraiser.
Today, both the Residential Cost Guide as well as the Agricultural Cost Guide are trusted industry tools used by a variety of industry professionals and property owners alike to estimate the Replacement Cost and Actual Cash Value of agricultural structures and residential occupancies throughout Canada accurately. The cost guides have been proudly researched and developed right here in Canada, using only Canadian costing data.
Douglas Cost Guide is committed to providing the most accurate information available to its users, in an effort to help make more informed and educated decisions when it comes to evaluating and estimating the rebuild cost of dwellings and agricultural-use buildings.
Developed by Karl Douglas
Karl Douglas is an experienced, retired, appraiser behind both the Residential Cost Guide and the Agricultural Cost Guide. Having worked in the field of real estate appraisal for a number of years, Karl Douglas brings his extensive industry experience and unique knowledge to the development, upkeep and updates of the residential and agricultural cost guides.
Karl Douglas’ experience in the field of real estate appraisal includes:
- Karl owned and operated a construction consulting firm between 1979 and 1985, where he managed the design, planning, project management, cost estimating, tendering and site inspections for new construction projects, renovations and / or addition projects relating to the construction of agricultural structures and residential occupancies
- Extensive appraisal expertise due to his involvement in the valuation of agricultural properties as well as evaluation of a wide variety of residential properties properties throughout Southwestern Ontario.
- Acquired in-depth real estate appraisal experience throughout his career and was an active member of the Appraisal Institute of Canada.
- Karl performed fee appraisals for mortgage financing purposes, litigation, expropriation, foreclosures, farm debt review proceedings, insurance claim settlements and more for both private and public sectors.
- Provided expert witness testimony before the Ontario Court System and the Ontario Municipal Board.
- Karl Douglas’ education background includes studies in architectural drafting, blueprint reading, construction estimating, agricultural building ventilation and insulation, rural planning economics, accounting and real estate law.
- Retired AACI, P.App member of the Appraisal Institute of Canada.
The Residential and Agricultural Cost Guides
Karl Douglas first developed the Agricultural Cost Guide over thirty years ago. Since then, it has become a staple for industry professionals in estimating and determining the valuation of agricultural structures. The Residential Cost Guide was launched in 2011 and has since become an industry favourite for the valuation of Canadian residential occupancies.
Both guides are updated regularly to reflect current Canadian markets and factors and continue to grow in popularity as the premier tool of choice for clients such as: insurance companies, insurance brokers, insurance agents, adjusters, loss prevention inspectors, Canadian banks, financial institutions, corporations, lawyers, accountants and private individuals.